1 kg of beef for boeuf bourguignon
2 tbsp of flour
1 Garlic head
1 branch of celery
1 bottle of wine (from Burgundy if possible)
1L of Sparkling water (Perrier, San Pellegrino…)
2 whole thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
Stews all taste better after a couple of days in the fridge (24 hours or 48 hours), so prepare these items ahead of time.
MARINADE PREPARATION :
1. Remove all bone cartilage, skin and fat. Put them all in a pan with butter in order to caramelize them. Sprinkle with water in order to obtain a "cooking jus "
2. Cut the beef into 5cm pieces
3. Marinade the meat in sparkling water for 1 hour
4. Then, marinade the meat in red wine for 1 hour
5. Peel and chop the onions and carrots
6. Prepare the aromatic garnish with thyme, bay leaf, garlic, carrots and celery
7. Add to the marinade the aromatic garnish, carrots and celery
8. Drain and dry the meat in a dishcloth
9. Filter the wine and the aromatic garnish. Separate the meat from the aromatic garnish and keep the wine.
BEEF BURGUNDY COOKING
1. Melt the butter and olive oil in a large skillet and fry the meat
2. Add the aromatic garnish from the marinade
3. Coat with flour the meat
4. Add the wine from the marinade and flambé the meat
5. Add the "cooking jus”
6. Put the lid and place during 2 hours in the oven with 200°C
Chef’s Tip :
1. We marinade the meat in sparkling water during one hour because the bicarbonate naturally present in sparkling water will tenderize the meat.
Sparkling water will melt the collagen (protein content of meat) and the meat will be more flavorful and tender with less fat.
2. You can add a square of dark chocolate in your preparation to adjust the acidity of the wine and add more taste to your beef burgundy.
3. As garnish, you can choose fettuccine, boiled potatoes, rice….
Bon appetit !